Help at hand when you need it

Being a union member means you're never alone when you have problems at work.

Union membership means having specialist industrial advice available when you need it and having the ongoing support of your union colleagues.

The first step in getting help from the union is to be a member.


CPSU looks after your industrial issues - that is, issues that affect you and your fellow union members in your workplace. The union is structured to deal with your issues in the following way.

Individual issues affect you as an individual and include such things as bullying, non-payment of entitlements, disciplinary matters, grievances, classification problems and the like.

Check our information pages below for some information about some of these kinds of issues.

There is a process involved in having the union represent or assist you with an individual issue.

Apply for Assistance

Workers’ employed in the state of Victoria who suffer an injury, disease or illnesses in the course of employment are entitled to claim Workers Compensation, commonly called WorkCover.

An Act of the Victorian Parliament titled the Accident Compensation Act 1985 (the Act) provides workers’ with the benefits and entitlements to workers compensation. The Act provides an entitlement to weekly payments, medical and like service expenses, occupational rehabilitation and return to work. CPSU has a specialised unit called CPSU WorkCover Services to provide assistance and representation to financial CPSU members who have suffered an injury, disease or illness in the course of employment through the WorkCover maze.

CPSU members who intend to lodge a claim for workers compensation, or have had a claim rejected, terminated all benefits reduced should contact CPSU WorkCover Services for advice and assistance and representation through the WorkCover process.

The Accident Compensation Act 1985 provides that a worker with accepted WorkCover claim has a legal right to be represented, assisted and supported throughout the return to work process. CPSU WorkCover Services provides representation to financial members through this process.

CPSU members should contact CPSU WorkCover Services Officer Geoff Lewin for advice and assistance with any WorkCover issue.

Register for CPSU assistance

Collective issues are issues that affect more than just you in the workplace. These could be enterprise bargaining, Occupational Health and Safety or Implementation of Change issues. If your issue is a collective workplace issue you will need to contact your organiser in the Membership Development Team.

Register for CPSU assistance

The first step to getting union help with your issue is to join CPSU.

Members who join CPSU with a pre-existing work related problem they want addressed will be required to pay a Fee for Service if their case is accepted for representation. Otherwise, limited telephone advice will be provided. Very few applications are accepted for representation when pre-existing.

Our policy recognises the ongoing contribution of our existing members without whom CPSU would not be able to;

  • negotiate Agreements which improve pay and conditions,
  • run campaigns to improve workplace health & safety,
  • represent members in restructures, grievances, reclass, & discipline actions,
  • provide expert industrial, WorkCover and OHS advice when you need it,
  • participate in the ACTU’s Change the Rules campaign.

The policy is designed to encourage employees to join their union when they commence work, rather than only at times of crisis and to contribute to the positive developments at your workplace.

CPSU relies on membership resources to run all our campaigns and by joining CPSU; you can protect one of your most important assets – your Job!

Pre-existing Issue Policy